Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:41:28 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Good morning lactnetters.  I had been away from my email, and am sorry I could not respond earlier (thanks to those who sent me notes about this OP contamination).

In almost all situations, I would recommend that the mom breastfeed despite low levels of chemical contamination.  In the post described, however, the mom has undergone presumably heavy exposure to organophosphates resulting in severe maternal toxicity (liver and kidney involvement, etc.?) which presents a more complicated picture for mom and baby.  

I don't have the original post, but in this case I would rely on the medical team's evaluation of the mother's condition and the baby's with regard to nutrition needs.  Prehaps the milk can be pumped and analyzed by a reputable lab to look for the chemicals to which the mother has been exposed, before it is used for the baby.    Does anyone have more info about what OPs, the maternal exposure (during pregnancy, too, i presume?), milk quality, etc. ?

Pls let me know, and contact me privately with the details.  My current contact info follows.  Please note my new address, phone, etc.  I am now  senior public health scientist with the NYS Office of the Attorney General. But, as always, I am a research toxicologist with expertise in maternal and childen's health issues, always interested in lactnet issues.  
Sincerely, Judy Schreiber

Judith S. Schreiber, Ph.D.
Senior Public Health Scientist
Office of the Attorney General
Bureau of Environmental Protection
The Capitol
Albany NY 12224
518-474-4819 desk
518-474-9267 sec
518-473-2534 fax
email [log in to unmask]  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2