Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:43:03 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
There is abundant research on the impact of grandmothers on a woman's decision to initiate and sustain breastfeeding.  Unfortunately, not a lot of research to tell us WHY.  Social marketing principles encourage us to address their barriers to providing support. Too often I think educational materials focus on all the things *besides* caring for the baby that grandmothers can do...such as cleaning house and preparing meals.  I don't think many grandmothers find that very appealing!  My experience has been that grandmothers, like the new mom herself, have strong inner desires to nurture babies through feeding.  If their previous feeding experience was with bottles, then they are anxious for their daughter to enjoy the same experience they did.  And many grandmothes sadly push bottlefeeding so they will be able to share with their daughters that closeness to their grandbaby through feeding, too.  

I love Patricia's wonderful post about the not-so-obvious but affirming ways grandmothers can provide support.  Unfortunately, very few grandmothers are there.  So where to begin in a class?  Here are a few suggestions from my experience with WIC mothers in Mississippi.

First, address the big "guilt" issue.  Help grandmothers who did *not* breastfeed feel "okay" for the decisions they made.  Allow them time to openly discuss any problems they experienced if they breastfed, and to vent about the lack of support available to them.  Grandmothers seem to appreciate "closure" after all these years. 

Secondly, use this as a perfect lead-in to address myths about breastfeeding.  A couple of years ago I provided a breastfeeding training for nurses, and my mother who was visiting from out of state came along and sat in the back. At the end of the training I asked for questions, and my *mother's* hand shot up.  With wide eyes she said, "NOW I know why breastfeeding never worked for me!"  She was amazed and relieved that it wasn't *her* inadequacy.  What were typical problems for grandmothers? A biggie is low milk supply.  Many grandmothers are completely convinced that low milk supply is somehow a genetic thing that will plague their daughter, as well.  Another big issue is sore nipples.

Third, address their barriers.  Embarrassment is a biggie for grandmothers, because so few people breastfed.  Many see breastfeeding as a sexual thing, and they have a hard time viewing their daughter as a sexual being.  Most grandmothers want their daughters to be happy, and want them to continue to go to work and enjoy a career.  They need to know about the options for nursing moms today.  History and culture play a role, too.  In the Mississippi Delta, we found in talking with African-American women that their mothers and grandmothers have strong feelings against breastfeeding because of the stories they heard of African-American women serving as wet nurses for white women, as well as for the young African-Americans who were forced back into the cotton fields after giving birth.  For them, bottlfeeding equals freedom.       

Fourth, affirm the grandmother's powerful and important role.  Offer her some of the beautiful ways she can provide support.  Encourage her to be with her daughter during hospital discharge teaching, and to read the same books her daughter is reading.  Show her other ways she can feel close to her grandbaby...rocking baby while her daughter is taking a shower, bathing or dressing the baby.  Help her see that her most important role is empowering her daughter and providing her the loving support she needs to nurture her baby in this most miraculous way.    

Cathy Carothers, BLA, IBCLC
Outreach Coordinator
Best Start Social Marketing
[log in to unmask]
1-800-277-4975

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2