Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 01:50:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
I'd like to cast my vote FOR hand expression. Almost every mother has two free pumps attached to the end of her arms- in an emergency, knowing how to hand express can be a lifesaver. I have found that many mothers can hand express very quickly and effectively and may prefer to hand express over using equipment. I have worked with many employed mothers- US Army, nurses, MDs, agricultural workers,teachers, office workers etc, etc that chose to hand express because they preferred it. I think it should always be offered as an option to a mother. When I returned to work as an auditor, I didn't want my employer or the audit client to know I was collecting milk for my baby, so I hand expressed. I could fill a 4 oz bottle in less than 5 minutes and was able to provide for all of my child's milk needs. I have also found that women who are separated from their babies are better able to maintain a good supply when combining pumping and manual expression. I see manual expression as a free, convenient, natural way to collect ,ilk for a baby. All we need is to teach the skill and encourage the mothers. Cathy Liles PS I don't rent pumps.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2