Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:52:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
 I agree with Marsha that the NOW letter is more positive than negative. It certainly asserts the value of breastfeeding and while some of the suggestions and statements may not be right on target, it is clear that NOW is a potential ally rather than an adversary on this issue. For example, as was stated, bf mothers already have more WIC benefits, although certainly not a compelling enough advantage to influence bf outcomes. And since when do bf mothers need 1000 (!!!) extra calories? I know the 500 number is always being bounced around and I do not even think that is accurate (it don't think more are required at all--women just need to eat nutrient-dense foods--more bang for their calories), but 1000 is ridiculous.

What concerns me far more than this is the issue of making breastfeeding more accessible, especially for employed moms. I was at ILCA at the presentation done by Susan Hayes. First, unless I missed something significant, I saw no evidence that the ads themselves (the campaign is over, BTW) increased bf awareness or improved outcomes in any way. I do think controversy over the ads did have a measurable outcome in terms of awareness. For example, awareness about bf increased among men--I do not think this is b/c men saw the ads or b/c they read more women's magazines. I would imagine it is b/c of the news stories about the controversy--placing the topic in media men tend to access like newspapers and broadcast news. So, whether one can use the data to draw any conclusions is debatable from my perspective. OTOH, I do not discount the potential benefit of this side-effect--it may well be useful. 

The new agenda taken up by the govt is the improvement of workplace conditions for bf mothers. While I agree that this essential, it completely disregards the reality that the US has abysmal parental leave laws and in no way addresses this issue. What I see here is the institutionalization of mother-infant separation. I cannot support the push for workplace accommodation when the foundation of such accommodation is not maternity leave that values the need for mothers and babies to be together. I am far more concerned with the gov'ts agenda than I am with this letter from NOW.
    Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
 Intuitive Parenting Network LLC    

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2