Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:31:18 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I'm just listening to a radio interview with someone from a dairy milk factory in Victoria, Australia. He is talking up the positives for his industry of exporting various dairy products to China, including fresh, liquid cow's milk, powdered cow's milk for household use - and powdered infant formula (PIF). The trend of tourists and others sending large batches of  PIF home to relations in China was mentioned, with the suggestion that this was beneficial as people in some parts of China don't have access to PIF. From the interview, he seemed to think of this as an essential. The man from the dairy company was "all about marketing success", not what this is doing to breastfeeding in an increasingly consumer economy.

I've mentioned this on Lactnet before. I wonder how breastfeeding rates, especially exclusive breastfeeding rates, in China in 2013 (when they are available) will compare with rates five years ago.  Who is protecting breastfeeding against this rampant trade? I'm angry about my country's increasing role in spreading the use of breastmilk substitutes round the world, and lauding this as "marketing" and "trade". In the 19th century it was opium that was aggressively promoted as "trade" by European powers (long story). Trade is not necessarily benign, whether on individuals or recipient economies - as these examples remind us.

Virginia
in Brisbane

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2