Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:59:13 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
"The first woman in the history of my unit to bear a child and not be discharged served with me; sadly, she was among my steepest obstacles"

Whether in combat boots or in heels, mothers report often that their biggest obstacles are ...other women!  

In fact, a young woman I know who worked while breastfeeding and pumping for two lovely boys...was fired from two different jobs  by WOMEN supervisors - because she was unwilling to work 14 hour days as THEY had when THEY had little ones.  

Even though she had clearly explained to them during the interviews that she would be leaving at 5:30 and she would be happy to take work home and complete it once her boys were asleep.  When she asked for clarification, she was told: "well, I had thought I'd do that too, when I went back to work, but I finally gave in to the job and just hired TWO nannies so I could put in long hours - and I thought you'd eventually do the same!"

When she got another (much better, much more lucrative job) - my first question was "is your boss a man or a woman"?  I was much relieved to learn it was a MAN...

How sad this situation has become in the US where sister turns against sister "If I did it this way - YOU must also".  

I was so lucky to have a mother who, having herself failed to breastfeed, and who had me on a schedule (the real reason for the breastfeeding "failure") that kept me in a crib for hours crying, just looked at me as I parented my children "differently" and said "I didn't know that when I was taking care of you!"

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2