Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:46:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I think a better counter-comparison when this red herring is brought up is that when people urinate unnaturally (that is, they have an indwelling catheter) that is not obvious publicly.  So if breastfeeding in public is immodest, then bottle feeding should be also!  Actually, it does disturb me when I see a baby getting a bottle in public.  
First of all, I too often see the mom pull a bottle out of her diaper bag and give it to baby-makes me wonder just how long it has been sitting there unrefrigerated.  Then I see her pop the partially finished one back in the bag and have often seen it come out again over an hour later and go right back into baby's mouth.  This is especially concerning at outdoor events in the summer when it is hot and there has obviously been no refrigeration.
Secondly, I wonder why the baby is getting a bottle in the first place.  Yes, a few might be expressed breastmilk because mom doesn't feel comfortable breastfeeding in these settings.  However, I wonder if maybe she tried but got no help or misinformation leading to giving up.  Did she not have the opportunity to really know the significant differences?  Did she know them and not give a darn?
Since I am offended by this sight, should I then "harrumph" at her for doing so?  complain to the management? write a letter to the paper objecting to this appalling public display?  Now wouldn't that generate a backlash!
I am really getting sick of this double standard we seem to have in our culture where the natural function of the breasts is considered so "hush-hush" but other "functions" get in-your-face with no ripples at all.

Winnie

Winifred Mading
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2