Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 07:33:28 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
In my experience, the babies I dealt with who had signs of torticolis could nurse just fine...if I just let THEM decide what position to use.  I would observe them and how they lay, then helped the mother imitate it at the breast.

Today I would probably use the biological nurturing position or the "baby led" method (but mother assists, not mother-dead) letting the baby tell us what he wants.  Just have not had the opportunity.

My niece, who lives in California but far from me, just came to a family get-together and there was her 7 month old with a HELMET - the baby had such bad torticollis it has not allowed the head to shape correctly and would be wearing this helmet 23 hours a day x 5 months to help the head assume a more rounded shape.  Meanwhile, she also has PT 3 times a week plus exercises with mom and/or dad every day.  My niece reported she had trouble with breastfeeding at first, but once she realized what to do (let the baby set the position) she is breastfeeding beautifully.  (She had already breastfed older daughter.)

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2