Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:32:38 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Dear Wise Ones:
PtP:  Babe born at 36 weeks, and diagnosed unexpectedly with DownSyndrome.  Spent almost a week in NICU with parents in close attendance, skin-to-skin when they could, but phototherapy and enforced bottle feeding precluded establishment of breastfeeding.  First=time Mom is fairly (and understandably) anxious, and hospital staff instilled fear that her babe would not thrive if she did not continue to pump and bottle feed so they could "see" how much babe was getting. (I know, I know!)
Babe is now 6 weeks old and thriving; mother has continued with pumping and bottlefeeding breastmilk under pediatrician's instruction.  Last week, paternal grandmother called me saying mother developed swelling, soreness, redness in left breast along with greatly reduced milk output (down from 2-3 oz to <10 ml) from that breast.  They implemented some of my suggestions (warm shower, hand expression, compresses, massage, hands-on pumping) but did not encourage breastfeeding nor did mother restrict activity. :(  There was no improvement and, predictably, it morphed into a sudden onset of fever, flu-like symptoms, for which I encouraged her to seek medical attention with her OB provider.  She began antibiotic therapy, felt better and, although her milk output improved from affected breast, it was still reduced.  Her OB sent her for an ultrasound and a "lump" was found (in same location that her difficulty began)  The radiologist told her "it was NOT a milk duct" (wondering how much exp she has with lactating breast?) and referred her back to her OB, with whom she has an appointment the beginning of next week.
I appreciate any thoughts / wisdom / experience any of you might offer?
Thank you!Becki Neely, RN BSN IBCLC Speak Truth.  Love Well.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2