Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2012 14:02:21 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I have just heard of a pre-pubertal girl in my extended circle who now has a tongue brace for an overlarge and weak tongue that has pushed her teeth forward.  She does not have Down syndrome.  I have seen slides of protruding or ‘too-large’ tongues in babies, but somehow always assumed that the mouths eventually grew to accommodate the tongue.  

I assume that breastfeeding did not happen for this girl, otherwise her tongue might have become stronger?  I also wondered what the usual treatments might be, and whether it’s something we breastfeeding helpers have to look out for. I looked through Dr Palmer’s and Dr Kotlow’s sites, but can’t see named information on what is done for large/weak tongues, unless this is the issue referred to in passing as a use for laser surgery, “Removal of hypertrophic tissue in orthodontic patients.”  I have a vague feeling of seeing pictures of tongue-reduction surgery somewhere, but where?  Last resort, one hopes.   I can’t picture how a brace would strengthen a tongue (merely keep it away from the teeth), but I haven’t seen the contraption.

Would be interested to hear if anyone on Lactnet knows more about this issue.

Best wishes
Jacquie Nutt IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2