Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:26:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Hi all!  My name is Karin Blinkilde, I am a dietitian currently working for WIC, but in the past have worked with gastroplasty (stomach stapling) patients.  Given that this baby seems to be feeding well, with lots of wet and dirty diapers, I would not be  concerned about mom's milk supply.

I would, however, suggest that mom take a vitamin supplement, as the food intolerances of these post gastroplasty patients often prevent consumption of a balanced diet.  One or two children's chewable vitamins, depending on how well she tolerates a varied diet, should cover her.  I recommend the chewables, as most do not tolerate swallowing pills after having had this surgery. 

The other thing I would be concerned about would be sustaining adequate fluids.  The nutritional supp. may or may not help (may just make mom feel better), but she will need to be careful to get enough to drink.  Unless she has stretched out the pouch created by the stapling, it won't hold much at a time, and it can be difficult to drink enough.

Karin Blinkilde, RD

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2