Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:22:29 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
Greetings to all from sweltering Virginia; regarding the assessment of suck/swallow in the NICU, I would also love to hear what everyone is seeing routinely in level two(special care nurseries) and NICU's. We are currently taking big steps to improve our special care nursery lactation support; we have management support, and two of our LC's(myself included)are going to a suck assessement and management course in Fall;having been back in the scn for only one month, I have done a lot of observing and "taking stock" of situation, almost all babies seem to have speech/ot consult and all have"homework" posted at bedside with guess what? Bottle training! The only suck training have seen thus far has been bottles, and I received negative response from st/ot the other day when I told her how well a baby had done using finger suck-training and syringe with EBM.  Tiny girl still, less than 3lb, but now at 37(or36?)wks.  Have worked with Mom twice so far at breast second time much better, +latch,although brief, and content to snuggle down against mom's bare chest after good attempts. I still have much to learn about premies, would appreciate insight from some seasoned "special"baby LC's.
Thanks in advance!
Lora
with great intentions and vision, but will have to take this project one step at a time!

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2