Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:45:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I have permission from the mom to post this.This is an email from a mother who has a baby that was recently diagnosed with a submucousal palate. Can anyone give advice in regards to her questions and concerns?

My son, McKinley, is now 8 months old - his pediatrician is Robert Warner/La Costa Peds. He has not been seen by an occ therapist - we're just in the beginning stages of diagnosing a submucousal cleft palate. It's a long story! He also has reflux which he's currently on prevacid for. After months of really struggling to get him to eat (he never could suck very well or latch onto my breast after the engorgement period ended, and also had a very difficult time taking any bottle). he's finally go the hang of that. But now we're having difficulty with solids because he's got a super sensitive gag reflex and any sort of throat swelling (even a minor cold) puts him off solids entirely. He's also had chronic sinus infections that his ENT (Anthony Magit) believes is actually from the reflux and increased his prevacid. We don't know if he'll need surgery yet for the cleft palate - it looks to be a fairly mild case compared to the pics online, but with his high  palate and forked uvula, he'll probably need some intervention if nothing else than for speech purposes.

He's gaining weight just fine, but I'd really like to move him on to real food. We see the cleft palate team at Rady's Childrens Hospital on May 2.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2