Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:26:04 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
Have you ever read how the Nuk pacifiers were designed?  They did this by having a mother of a 4month old hang over the xray table, coated her breast with barium and shot an xray with the baby latched on (I'm assuming just barely).  This was in the 50's before ultrasound.  The work done by the Australian group on breast inside of baby's mouth with ultrasound showed that the nipple is drawn out, rounded, minimal compression done except with tongue=tie babies.  Seems to me, that's where you need to go if you are designing anything that is a breast-substitute!  Just because a nipple sometimes comes out looking pinched, doesn't mean you should design products to look like that! 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Liane Varnes
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: Pacifiers and Dentists

Bravo, Patricia, for raising awareness of how the dental professional has valid and helpful opinions regarding pacifiers. Hopefully, Dr. Palmer has a chance to read this and chime in. My Dad, now deceased, was a dentist and my Mom has a B.S. in dental hygiene. They have always recommended Nuk products. It was my Mom who introduced me to Dr. Palmer's work.
Are you out there, Doc?

The miracle is this--the more we share, the more we have.
--Leonard Nimoy

Liane C. Varnes, CLC

Certified Lactation Counselor
Lactivist
Peer Breastfeeding Counselor
Georgia Public Health District 2 - WIC Program

May you be be happy; may you be healthy; may you be free from suffering; may you live with ease.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2