Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 12:00:40 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
And while I am at it, asking a million questions, what is mean by Christian Parenting.    I mean, I know about Ezzo.  But what is someone asking for, when asking for guidelines for Christian parenting?  Guidelines from the New Testament, as opposed to the old?
That's a good question, Chanita.
My understanding is that Christians believe that God made the human kind, and instituted the family for and protection and blessing (Old Testament).   Christians also believe that God is present with all who trust him, helping them to live lives that honor him, and this includes basic interpersonal and family relationships. I see *Christian parenting* as achieving parenting in harmony with the plans of the creator.  So in my mind this type of parenting should be basically the same as good parenting in any people group, and in any age.
I am a Christian.  My 4 children will tell you that I (and their father) often get it wrong :).  That's OK.  We live in an imperfect world, and home is the training ground for the big world out there.

Some books I have seen about Christian Parenting horrify me, being more a system of winning by control and intimidation (don't ask me for titles).  It's often difficult to understand what we have inherited culturally as opposed to what is truth for all people and for all time.

Joy Johnston, Midwife IBCLC
Melbourne Australia

ATOM RSS1 RSS2