Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:40:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
Forgive me if this is a stupid question - I live in a VERY backwards area when it comes to 
anything related to lactation! 

I try to keep up to date and remember seeing a post at some point about treating 
persistent yeast with fluconazole and how you can do 1 pill every 3 days, etc. instead of 
daily. 

I'm taking my 2.5 year old in for thrush this afternoon. (we've been battling yeast for a 
while, but he came down with it on Friday and his mouth is horrible - nystatin is almost 
impossible at his age and I've been using GV, but am going to talk to our family practice 
dr about a long term treatment for me and also oral treatment for my toddler. On top of 
the thrush he has ulcers all over his tongue so something viral is also going on - he hasn't 
nursed since friday or eaten much either. 

I'm well versed on all the standard treatments and precautions/preventative stuff for 
yeast, but I think it's time we sought a solution that will last hopefully. Currently I have 
no symptoms but I was on antibiotics for almost 3 weeks and despite probiotics/yogurt, 
etc I still came down with yeast issues. I have no symptoms at the moment though- not 
that I don't have a problem and it's just waiting to show up. 

I looked up the fluconazole protocol in BHL and wanted to make sure there isn't a 
newer/better recommendation. I'll be taking it with me because I'm sure the doctor 
doesn't have a lot of experience in this area.... 

What I have out of my book is for mom: 400mg oral dose on day 1 and then 200 mg daily 
for 14-21 days. Is this still the standard and should I have any blood work done to check 
for anything with that long of a dose?

Baby: oral suspension - 6 mg/kg on day 1 and then 3 mg/kg for 5-10 days after that. 

I'm going to take my text book with me to show him - but if there is a newer 
recommendation I'll need to print it out. 

Thanks in advance and please reply privately so I can retrieve responses on my phone as 
we're leaving the house in a bit. 

- Anne, CLEC, LLLL
Florida Panhandle - which is a bit soggy from Claudette!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2