Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 23:22:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Fellow Lnetters,
Its 1045PM, EDT and I should be reading Pediatrics in Review (Jan 98) watching my Rob Reiner tape or sleeping but I've gotten hooked on this discussion about breasts. (Imagine an American male who would rather read/think about breasts than sleep.)
I'm tempted to respond to Lisa M and say your idea of many going topless on the beach wont scare me off and infact I'll come and go toplesss too, if my wife lets me. Just do me a favor have a baby latched on or near by or something to help me keep breast in the proper perspective. Even some dripping milk or a blocked duct or mastitis (I like infectious disease cases not that Id wish them on anyone)
But seriously I think there is some hope with this issue. I related the Linda Smith in a private Email that during my first year of residency I got a message that the mom of one of my clinic patients needed to talk to me with questions about breastfeeding.
I said to a near by nurse "I have to call Diane (hospital IBCLC) I'm a 27 year olds single guy. The only thing I know about breast is perverted."
Since then I hope I've learned a lot, with alot help from some generous people such as Dr Jack, Dr Nancy, Ruth Lawrence, Marsha Walker, Dr Kathy D and others. (Is there anyone involved with BF who isnt friendly and helpful?)
I can find breast attractive as I do other portions of anatomy, legs,eyes,etc  but I now realise there primary function and dont think it at all unusual or feel uncomfortable about a mom breastfeeding infront of me reguardless of how much of her breast is exposed. I do sometimes think "thats one less mom who will call at midnight about ear pain or diarrhea."
If moms in my office want to BF in a place other than the waiting room I try to find somewhere for them but remind them they have every right to BF in the waiting room and no one has a right to object to her feeding her baby the way baby's should be fed.
I agree with Linda S a public topless demonstration would not help things. But I often wonder what large numbers of moms openly BF in public would do. Moms by the thousands!
Just some sleep deprived thoughts
Hope you all keep changing culture as you did to me.
-Rob

PS Kathy A. my wife, father-in-law and I stacked 2 cords of wood today.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2