Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:12:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Dear Mardrey,

I also am no longer satisfied with some of our bf dogma, which I myself have passed along to moms in the past.  Just as we have discarded the use of rough towels to "toughen up" the nipples, I believe that we need to rethink some of the other truisms that have developed before we had the tools to investigate them properly.  I think that phenomena such as "nipple confusion" have a very complicated etiology and I also, based on what I have read and seen at conferences, do not believe that most or even many babies use their mouths during bottlefeeding in a way consistant with the old model, such as shown in the Childbirth Graphics slides.  I have also found that the scissor hold can be quite useful in some circumstances.  If I do nothing else during my steady advance towards "older" age, I hope that I do continue to maintain an open mind towards all information and observation.  There is so much about what we do that we really don't understand yet - we need to keep searching for answers and move on to new theories and models when it is appropriate to do so.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2