Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:02:19 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I think some of the objection to babies "snacking" at the breast comes from the "you must follow the following rules (including scdheduled and restricted feeding)" advocates.  With moms immersed in that culture, talking about biologic norms may not get through, at least at first.  I like to use the various comparisons to adult eating.  One suggests a mom take note of every time she puts something in her mouth, not just meals, but drinks, bites, etc.  She will soon note that she isn't just eating her "3 squares" a day-it's probably at least 12 times in 24 hours.  When a baby wants to nurse "too soon" after the last "meal", I tell mom that baby has decided to have dessert now (much in the way that adults have desseret a while after the meal id done instead of immediatrely).  I remind her that baby may be nursing now for thirst instead of wanting a "meal".  One trick that fits especially well in a group setting is to pass out cookies, but tell them that they can't have one if it's been less that 3 hours since they ate.  (I'm not sure where this one came from.  It might have been "Coach Smith's" book.)

The point of these approaches is that we first have to meet the mother where she is in her thinking, then help her to see outsdide her current way of thinking.  If we plunge right in with a view that is counter to where she is now, we may not be heard at all.

Winnie

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2