Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:04:53 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
This is a plea for all the brilliant Lactivists out there whose kids are older than mine. I donąt have time to respond to this situation effectively but this has my blood boiling.
I hope the Lactnet Listmothers will allow this plea, even though it might seem inappropriate to post here. 
There is an online blog called "the homebirth debate" run by a retired obstetrician Amy Tuteur.
Currently there is a discussion going on about breastfeeding and this MD is spouting all sorts of nonsense. This is a popular blog and it gets many "hits" a day. I have engaged in the "debate" in the past but I am too busy to commit a lot of time to it right now. If anyone out there considers the remarks I am including below preposterous please visit her blog and set her straight.

In response to this comment: "Research has linked all of these health issues to breast feeding."

Dr Amy Tuteur replies:
"No, it hasn't. There is no research that suggests that rates of obesity, type 1 diabetes, autoimmune diseases, allergies or asthma has risen in response to decreased rates of breastfeeding.

In fact, breastfeeding rates have increased dramatically in the past 2 generations and that's precisely when the rates of obesity, type 1 diabetes, asthma, etc. have begun to climb."

In response to this commit: 
"That having been said, the benefits of breast milk shouldn't be dismissed as if they are unimportant."

Dr Amy Tuteur replies: "It is a matter of honesty. The research shows that the benefits of breastfeeding are small. That's not surprising since formula manufacturers have tried mightily to duplicate breastmilk.. 

The magnitude of the benefit is irrelevant EXCEPT to those women who wish to advertise their "superiority" as mothers. They are heavily invested in proclaiming that breastfeeding provides massive advantages, because that makes them look better. The reality, that it is a choice with real, but small benefits, does not allow for nearly enough self congratulation in their view."
Please respond to these comments here:
www.homebirthdebate.blogspot.com
Scroll down to the Saturday, August 30, 2008 blog entry entitled:
Different cultures initiate breastfeeding at different times 
and click on "comments"

Sincerely, 
Mary Herrington, RN,IBCLC, mommy to three

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2