Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:17:25 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
As a pharmacist and healthcare professional, I can recommend any one prescription drug I wish.  The patient can take my recommendation to his physician, and the physician can deicide whether to prescribe that drug or not.  No where and not at any time have I prescribed any drug for the person I made my recommendation.  Anyone can recommend any prescription drug he wishes to recommend.  All he is doing is making a recommendation; he is not prescribing.  I recommend specific prescription drugs to people all the time.  I even recommend doses.  I am NOT prescribing.

As for OTC medications, as a pharmacist I can also recommend any specific OTC drug that I want.  OTC medications do not require a prescription to be dispensed, although a doctor could write a prescription for one.  The FDA has left it up to the consumer to make a correct decision for purchasing a OTC medication.  Hopefully, the consumer would depend upon a pharmacist's judgment and recommendation before purchasing the OTC, but he can also purchase based upon what his relatives or friends recommend.

Frank J. Nice, RPh, DPA, CPHP
Check out my Website and Book, "Nonprescription Drugs for the Breastfeeding Mother" at: 
www.nicebreastfeeding.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2