Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:02:37 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I have a mom I am working with who was in a car accident 2-3 weeks ago and had severe injury to one of her breasts. Lots of bruising and
swelling and bright red blood in her milk. Very painful to nurse. Had her using ice packs and cabbage leaves and pumping for comfort. Now only
pumping occasionally and just has a little brown tinged milk on that side. The problem is that the swelling has not decreased. I had suggested
previously that she could only breastfeed from one side. Informed her that she could produce enough for the baby from one breast and the other
side would eventually stop producing. Now the OB is demanding that she quit breastfeeding entirely so she can heal. She told him what I said
about nursing from one breast only, but he continues to insist that she quit and tells her that the breast will never heal until she does. I need
some good references on one-sided breastfeeding that supports the information I am giving her regarding cessation of production on the unused
breast. She is really dedicated to continued breastfeeding and wants information to share with her doctor. TIA for any references you can give me.
Julia Scaletta, RN, BSN, IBCLC, LCCE
Eden,NC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2