Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:43:53 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Betsy,

<I have been reading the recent posts about dioxin exposure being greater in firstborns and the
whole concept of "dumping bad milk"; particularly in the post about how some other cultures do in
fact give initial breastmilk to animals to get rid of it.>

Cultures do this for all kinds of reasons, some obviously wrong -- superstition, because they
think colostrum is bad for a baby -- and some possibly useful, for instance if a mother has been ill
(and the milk tastes salty). Maybe others more knowledgable will say more.

<  In the recent posts, as opposed to some in the last two months, I don't seem to be reading what I
thought was a balance...that even though these toxins are present, there are still elements of
breastmilk that protect against some of the very problems these pollutants create.>

If you carefully review the posts up to now, you'll see studies sited showing that babies do
benefit from breastmilk in this situation. I personally didn't perceive the discussion as
imbalanced.

On the other hand, it has provoked all kinds of thought-associations. I keep thinking about dairy
and the negative influence it has on our health, through dioxins and otherwise. As kids we were told
to avoid drugs because it would change our DNA and damage our future children. But we were
encouraged to drink milk!

Then, the allergist Doris Rapp wrote in I believe 1990 ("Is This your Child?") that children with
different kinds of behavioral problems, especially ADHD, often were 'kickers' in the womb, and had
bouts of hiccoughing every day. This is almost always a reaction to the mother drinking a lot of
milk because she wants to eat a healthy food, according to Rapp. (If she stops drinking milk, the
behavior in the womb stops.) These are then the colic-babies, and later, the hyperactive kids.

Now I am thinking: when are mothers going to band together and sue the dairy producers for
enticing them to regard their product as healthy?

They cannot as long as there is only clinical evidence to back them up. But I ask all of you here
-- Rapp wrote this in the early 1990s -- why hasn't this knowledge become mainstream?

Hilary Jacobson

expat in Switzerland, about to be certified LC (The IBCLC here only allows medical people to take
the exam so I cannot take it.)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2