Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:37:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
<And great granny is smiling, giving lots of "thumbs up", knitting pretty baby things and not offering a word of advice (to family, at least) until or unless she is asked;-) It's a whole new role in life.>

90 hours old, and the text came "Would you like to come over to see the baby and give some help with breastfeeding?"
Guess how long it took me to say "Yes-s-s-s!" !!!

As a former childbirth educator, I have really been genuinely impressed, and I made a point to tell her so. And listening to her tell her birth story made both of us smile. Eventually Sophia Rose woke up, and the conversation turned to breastfeeding, and what was she noticing thus far . . . . . What color are the poops?? . . . .And some detective work about discomfort . . .  And what a great help it is to keep on using skin to skin and lying back, to simplify choosing a nursing position "while you two are just learning . . . . . . ." And what a big help a soft areola is to a comfortable latch and letting her get a really good mouthful of the breast. . . . And MER, and breast compression if she falls asleep easily. . . .

Even with no IV's, RPS had a contribution to make to improve latching on day 3, and partly to help teach fingertip expression more easily. I think kinesthetic learning is so helpful, both prenatally and postnatally, to demonstrate why it's worth taking the time to "bother" with RPS: 

"Use your thumb and finger to press both sides of your chin together for a few seconds. Feel how firm it seems compared to how soft your lower lip feels when you do the same thing. When you can make your 'circle' as soft as your lower lip each time just before offering your breast for the next few days, she'll be able to latch on much more deeply, get more milk and it will be much more comfortable for you."

Glad I can be of real assistance. Even the ideal birth scenario can't prevent all challenging situations. A few definite red flags to keep tabs on in the next few days. A couple of my favorite TT websites for daddy Kyle to check into tonite . . . . "And let's see what the pediatrician has to say tomorrow. . . . ."

Gee, it was nice to be asked to be part of their adventure!!  

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
Great Granny, Octogenarian, Lactosaurus, and sometimes WIC Volunteer, Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2