Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2018 18:15:34 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Amen!

Holly McSpadden, IBCLC
(Getting ready to recertify as IBCLC for the 4th time...)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 6, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> Thank you for bringing up this subject Kika.
> I think this needs to be talked about more. I feel that there has been a shift over the past 10 years in this field to becoming overly technical and analyzing latch, position, suck pattern to the nth degree. It's a shame. People talk about "latching" now all the time instead feeding the baby. When there are problems or difficulties the mother is experiencing, it's important to observe and try to help. But I see a very disturbing trend now that we feel the need sometimes to go in and pick apart the mother's technique and it often reduces their confidence. Especially we should avoid this when no problems exist. 
> I can think of 3 recent cases in which nurses told me the latch was too shallow and the mother's nipples were too long or wide to get a good latch. In each case they had successfully breastfed a previous baby for 1 to 2 years. The mother complained of no pain and the baby was fine. But latch looked a little shallow and the nipple was slightly creased, but no damage. In each case, the nurse had introduced the idea to the mother that the baby couldn't be getting enough milk with a latch like that. It took lots of reassurance from the LC's the parents were dissatisfied with the mixed message that they were receiving. I'm sure in these cases likely what is happening is that after mature milk production the infant will be sucking at a lower pressure and the milk flows faster reducing friction on the nipples. If the mother has nursed her last baby for 2 years, I don't really care what her positioning looks like unless she is complaining of pain or a problem, I generally leave them alone.
> These guidelines about the benefits of latch and suck/swallow ratio are a good thing generally. But they can't be applied universally to every mother as a hard as fast rule. Every mother and baby are different. If there are not any existing problems - don't introduce any is my motto.
> I heard someone say once that the definition of successful breastfeeding is - the baby gets enough milk and the mother doesn't have pain. Nothing else matters.
> The tendency of many of the nurses I work with is to constantly analyze this on the first day and report to me that the baby has "an ineffective suck pattern." I usually respond with - it's 6 hours old. How about if we cut the baby some slack? Learning how to suck, swallow and breathe is the job of the newborn. They need to practice to learn. Taking them off the breast and syringe feeding them does not let them learn how to do this. If you never get on a bicycle you will never learn to ride it. I also find that among some, there is not an understanding that most of these rules about suck/swallow pattern (I think) really apply more to mature milk production and not as applicable during the colostrum phase. 
> I try to remember that prior to 10 years ago, most of us knew nothing about the importance of a deep latch, versus shallow latch. And somehow most people managed to successfully nurse their babies. I'm sure my first daughter had a shallow latch because I had terrible nipple pain for 6 weeks and somehow she managed to gain 4 pounds in the first 6 weeks. I suspect that if I had her today in some hospitals I would have been counseled that she couldn't be getting enough milk and if we couldn't improve the latch, I should just take her off the breast and pump. Had I been the victim of that advice, there is no way I would have continued with breastfeeding. I do think given the choice, most mothers would rather muddle through a couple weeks of sore nipples, then be pumping and bottlefeeding around the clock. We need to avoid the message to these mothers that if the baby isn't latched on perfectly, or if they have any nipple pain at all, the baby can't be getting enough milk. Learning about improved latch is a good thing, but I think the pendulum has swung too far and some people are taking this to the extreme and it's becoming a detriment to some of the mother's ability to breastfeed. 
> Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.lsoft.com%2Farchives%2FLACTNET.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C17e44121dffd44416e6b08d6440053d1%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636771165538529124&amp;sdata=oWph%2BvYe5SSTjhYcCZmC%2BdMa%2BlgD7eRne6ChekmJwqg%3D&amp;reserved=0
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2