Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 14:25:36 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Jaye made many good points but I'll only address one for now.  Many moons ago, IBLCE published a newsletter called the IBCLICK.  When the last one was published about 3 years ago, it was, alas, largely a regurgitation of the newsletter published for the Australian region and essentially irrelevant to IBCLCs in North America. There used to be a link on the website for reading 'back issues' but that has been removed.  Just as well, they were so old, it was an embarrassment having them up there.

I don't think IBLCE should bring it back.  Paper newsletters have gone the way of the dinosaur.  They cost a lot to produce and mail, and use resources that don't need to be used.  Arguments against the electronic version (we don't have everyone's email address; people don't have access/don't know how to use computers) aren't really valid.  

A user-friendlier website and e-letters would be an excellent way to keep IBCLCs advised of what's going on.  Right now, the news, sometimes, is up front, as in the SOP announcement and withdrawal from the website. But sometimes, as in the case of the appointment of interim ExDir, its "buried on page six".  If (s)he doesn't have a computer, any IBCLC who wants to know badly enough what's going on at IBLCE and has the time, can access computers in libraries, hospitals, and schools.  ILCA and USLCA are doing an admirable job using this medium for keeping members in the loop.  I actually look forward to receiving their newsletters by email and read them the day they arrive.  If people don't supply their email addresses and keep them updated, well, their loss.

I'm sorry, but IBLCE's "short staffing" is a lame excuse.  From the day they opened the doors, the organization has been short staffed.  Throwing together a one page newsletter to post on a website is not a major production.  Well, on second thought, maybe it is.  If answering routine correspondence within six months can't be accomplished, maybe we do expect too much.  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2