Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2013 00:30:34 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I've been asked this a few times and my approach has been to first explain that pumping anticipates / replaces the expected routine of a breastfeeding baby and to second explain the expected routine of the breastfeeding baby, including details of latch.  Couples quickly understand that logistics provide an answer.  

It strikes me you would need to be an experienced nursing mother to even begin to understand how to play (or direct) the comprehensive role of a nursling.  Pumps need no instruction and arrive a ready tool.  If the goal is to create milk, families need to expect milk and greet increasing volume with a plan to receive it.  

Partners and babies have different relationships with the breast.  This scenario really drives that difference home.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC, RLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 12:32 AM
Subject: Induced Lactation

During a recent conversation about induced lactation (for a situation where there is not yet a baby in the home), I was asked about the effectiveness of "natural" pumping / breast stimulation by a significant other instead of a breastpump.  I cannot recall any prior professional discussion about this question.  Seperating the question from the situation, do you have any prior clinical experiences with a similar case?  I am quite familiar with induced lactation and the Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.  But, when it has become time for the consistent breast stimulation via milk removal phase, I have only ever known the "formula" to progress with the use of a industrial-grade pump.  Perhaps, in addition to some of the more obvious issues such as timing, access, stamina, sensitivity, etc, there could be other more practical issues such as the actual collection of milk for storage, consistency, vacuum, etc.  Before I will follow-up with a family who has posed
 this question, I desired to reach out to my peers.  Help!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2