Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:47:16 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
This poem has shown up on my homebirth and extended breastfeeders posting boards at ivillage's ParentsPlace. This is what I posted as to my feelings about the poem.

******************************************************************************************
This post made me very upset. I am going through the same ordeal with my son who will be 4 years old very soon. The balance of good nursing feelings are not quite balanced anymore and part of me wishes he would wean. I know he is not ready as he wakes in the night half asleep (and in the morning) asking to nurse and he says warm milkies make him sleepy. This story made me think about imposing my feelings on him. The story says that weaning was the child's choice. But was it? If the child makes the choice she would never ask again to nurse. My heart broke when the child asked to nurse and the mother said "no". Obviously the child was not ready to let go of that special relationship but was forced to stay with her choice, there was no going back. 

I find this very sad. My son and I have talked about this. He says he will stop nursing when he is 4 years old (which is only a couple of days from now). I told him that it is okay with me if he wants to nurse after his birthday. The light in his eye was tear evoking. 

I think what is important in parenting is that our children should be encouraged to make choices that lead to greater independence, but I think it is more important for them to know that they can regress and it is okay. If my son asks to nurse after saying he is weaned, he probably needs that nursing more than before he was "weaned". 

Needless to say I did not enjoy the story. 

Patricia 

(My son is now 4 years old and has asked to nurse every morning since his birthday. Needless to say he starts his day with milkies)

Patricia Blomme RN
Perinatal Nurse
VP Canadian Childbirth Association
Birth Educator/Doula
Lay Breastfeeding Counselor
my thoughts: http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/author/view_author_info.gsp?auth_id=77894
"No other natural bodily function is painful and childbirth should not be an exception." 
- Grantley Dick-Read

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2