Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 23:27:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
 I agree with all of Marsha's post.

We have to be very careful not to be played by the pump companies just as we complain docs/nurses? are played by the AIM/pharmaceutical companies. I have never met a pump rep I did not like. I even think a lot of them choose the job b/c it means repping something they believe in. We have to separate that from the reality of the corporate world. Corporations need to make money--we all do. Some make the bottom line all there is. They do whatever they can to make as much profit as possible. Some act with a conscious. They may not always make as much money, but sometimes, they gain customers b/c of who they are. And sometimes they thrive b/c of it. But, most companies are not willing to take that "risky" approach--they depend on tried and true marketing strategies. And they let us do as much of their work for them as they can manipulate us into doing.

Sixteen years ago, when I began a peer counseling program embedded within a hospital clinic, hand pumps were given to every mother who had a baby. AIM was also give to every mother and there was precious little help for breastfeeding moms. I persuaded the hospital to stop the pump give-away and they did. Every mom who got a pump was then given it only by the peer counselor or a nurse, and for our clients, rarely even by the nurses. Obviously, the moms also got breastfeeding help and within couple of years the hospital was deemed "Baby-Friendly", although they managed to slink around that one by declaring the NICU (which was on-site) part of the Children's Hospital and thereby allowing it to continue to receive free AIM for the NICU and give out AIM in the NICU. 

That same year (it was 93 or 94) , the "Breast is Best" Campaign was being promoted to our facility and all the nurses thought I'd be so excited to use the materials. I looked at the materials and said "We're doing the work of the formula companies if we use this". I worked in advertising before I was an LC. I refused to use it.? I knew absolutely that "Breast is Best" was going to be a nightmare for breastfeeding advocates. Yet, breastfeeding advocates embraced it everywhere and now we are trying to undo the damage. It's out there now, with a life of its own and it doesn't matter what we think about it anymore. It's very difficult to get the genie back in the bottle once it's out--this issue of the Code is a very slippery slope and the pump companies know it. 

If we are divided on the issue of the Code, everyone loses. We have to understand the motivation here. Marketing has intention. The intention is to sell the product--as much of it as possible. It is no accident that Medela has begun to glamorize artificial-feeding and feeding with a bottle is artificial-feeding. They have reached the consumer directly and have no need for our approval. They also know that many of us depend upon them for monetary support. So, while we sit here and debate, they move freely to entrench one more anti-breastfeeding idea--that bottle-feeding EBM is the best of both worlds--best for mother and baby---no selfishness or martyrdom there--just a nice balanced motherhood.? 

Moreso, how can they be the bad guys if they promote human milk? Isn't that the commodity we can all agree on? It is a lot easier to market the nice middle-of-the-road concept than the "extreme" one. I never hear of anyone calling mothers who pump full-time, "extreme pumpers", but women who nurse normally get that moniker ("extreme breastfeeders"). Medele is promoting bottle-feeding while appearing like nice guys holding to the middle-of-the-road. They make the most money if women pump their milk and put it in bottles and they are far ahead of the AIM companies b/c folks--inlcuding LCs--like them. They have an easier time in every way--we like the reps, we like the product, we often make money on it, we would rather see moms pump and put their milk in bottles than AF them. They are very used to being the good guys and to us turning a blind eye to their actions. 

The fact is that artificial feeding should be marketed to no one. Mothers who want or need pumps know where to find them. Adhering to the Code does not prevent women who want to use pumps or bottles or even AIM from using it. It just prevents images of those things from being the norm for all mothers and babies. If we unite in support of the Code, we are stating that there is a line in the sand--that we will collude with no further compromises on maternal and infant health and well-being.

I do not sell pumps or rent pumps. I rented them only when I worked in an inner city hospital and no one else would rent to my client population. I did not make money from most of the rentals--as we charged only the wholesale pricing directly to the program--mothers paid nothing (every once in awhile a mom from the suburbs would rent a pump from me at retail). I have empathy for those who rely on money from Medela products. But, sometimes the product that is carried by the professionals becomes the one everyone wants--b/c it is viewed w/ esteem. Maybe there would not be such a loss in business if that were to happen. 

Either way, though--the Code is the one thing we ought all agree upon--not the milk. It's not about the milk--it's about protecting moms and babies so babies have a chance ot get the milk--from their mommas.? 

?Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2