Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 21:15:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I feel that it is better to send a baby home nursing at the breast then not. By at the breast I mean with any technique or tricks needed. I work in a hospital setting as a pediatric nurse (also IBCLC). On the weekends we do 48 hour follow ups for newborns. I find way to often that if they leave the hospital not nursing (even if they were using dropper or spoon feeding expressed milk) they return in 48 hours giving formula by the bottle because the mother was to tired or felt emotionally over run since her child was not nursing at the breast. 
The policy in the hospital that I work at: Nipple shields are kept on supply in the NICU. The NICU nurses are only suppose to give nipple shields out to their parents (if needed) but they do tend to give them to the staff on the mother baby ward as well. 
I believe that as long as the right information is provided to the parents regarding use of nipple shields (ie, always try to latch without first, skin to skin time, pump or hand express afterward, try to remove the shield in the middle of the feed) then it can be very beneficial. But when the shield gets in the hands on a nurse who is not educated enough then many problems can arise. 
Jessica Callahan RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2