Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:08:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)

When I worked as a hospital based IBCLC I taught classes to the residents.
One topic was medications and mothers' milk. I drew a picture on the board of a mother
and another picture of a baby. I then drew a picture of a pill and asked them to consider 
what they learned in medical school and explain to me how the pill gets to the baby when taken by the mother.
 Totally stumped them.
I asked how many of them had heard tv commercials that stated that this medication is not to be taken by
pregnant or nursing mothers. All had heard that. I then asked them how they would counsel nursing women on 
what medications to take, and what resources they would use. Again, totally stumped. I then told them not
to worry that "Superman Dr Hale" is to the rescue. I used the information in his book as the basis for my 
class (Thank you Dr Hale for being our Superhero!), discussed some common medications, looking those up
and showing them how to use both the Medications and Mothers Milk and also Clinical Therapies in Breastfeeding
Patients which I described as their cheatsheet, tellling them Dr Hale has done all the research so they can use it
and then go in to the patient being a total expert on the topic. They loved that idea. I wanted them to also
get used to the idea of actually using a reference instead of "winging iton their own". I then gave them a folder
with useful references, including ordering information on Hale's books. I received great  reviews with them noting this was 
very useful information.

Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2