Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:22:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Not sure how many read the Reader's Digest, but you'll love the story on pages 160-161!

Kate Ogg (of AU) delivered twins at 27 weeks.  The baby boy, born first, was frantically worked on by staff, who finally told mom that he was gone.  They handed baby to her and she thought baby gasped, but Dr said it was a brain stem reflex.  Mom unwrapped baby and placed hiim on the warm skin of her chest, while she sobbed.  She thought she felt the baby startle and again was told that it was a reflex.  Then the baby opened his eyes.  Dad hurried for Dr, who explained that they weren't seeing what they thought they were seeing.  "But look!" said Ogg, who has moistened her finger with colostrum from her breast." He's licking my finger."   His lungs were inflated, he was breathing without assistance and had good color.  He was then rushed off to NICU.  "Ogg had stumbled onto a practice encouraged in many maternity hospitals around the world.  Placing newborn babies are their mother's skin, especially if they are premature, is called kangaroo mother care."  Goes on to say that mother's chest provides the closest approximation to the environment of the womb.  At 9 mo the twins are doing well. Cute pix too. The twins were in vitro fert. Ms. Ogg is now expecting baby #3.conceived naturally. :-)

Just a few weeks ago I was talking with someone about my master's research that showed it takes about 20-30 years before a practice is adopted in nursing :-(  I got curious and had looked up when the first articles about kangaroo care were written.....yep, 30 years ago!!!  See RD just confirmed my research, LOL, Pat in SNJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2