Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:07:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Dear all:

Just like any artificial device, different bottles work with different babies.  Bisphenol A 
free bottles are just one component of reducing risk.  The Born Free bottles have a very 
sharp drop off from the fat part to the nipple part so most babies end up on the skinny 
nipple part.  This may not be appropriate for some babies.  Furthermore, it has EXACTLY 
the same flow as the Avent and the 1st Years Breast Flow bottle at 8-10 ml per minute.  
On the range of bottle flows from those that are 0-2 ml/minute and those that are 10-12 
ml per minute, this is near the top of the range.  So, for some (and I would argue many) 
babies this may be too fast.  

Some of the Medela nipples are pinched.  Every time I go to a conference by speech and 
occupational therapists, the pinched nipples are always mentioned as not desirable.  If 
you look at a pinched nipple and look at your own nipple and think about having your 
nipple look like the pinched nipple, I think the conclusions are obvious. One of the Medela 
nipples is just as fast as the Avent, First Years Breast Flow, and the Born Free bottles. 

There are less expensive bottles that are also free of Bisphenol A, but not advertised as 
such.  They don't come with pinched nipples or the cliff-hanger drop from the nipple base 
to the skinny part of the nipple.  

However, the reason why I will never put in writing any sort of conclusion about any one 
bottle is that it depends on the baby what type of tool I will use until that baby can do 
what it needs to on the breast.

Best, Susan Burger 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2