Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:10:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
I don't ever intend to 'pinch' a mother's nipple! Ouch!

I think there are cases when a 'compression' test tells us something about the 'function' of the nipple, aside from it's simple appearance.

Baby's don't look at nipples to eat. They do stimulate and compress the areolar tissue however. And I've seen some amazing responses to that stimulation and compression.

I've seen what appears to be a normal somewhat everting nipple when you look at it, completely retract and invert when compressed...sometimes this helps explain what the mother tells me about her baby not '...staying on'....(I know to look for tongue tie etc. when they describe this as well). This helps us understand the mechanics of the problem.

I've also observed the tissue of a woman who has what appear to be horizontal slits or lines and completely inverted nipples (and was immediately handed a nipple shield following birth by a RN who did not ask her to stimulate or compress the tissue), show me how when she simply stimulates the tissue and slightly compresses behind the nipple, her nipples entirely extend and evert! It was one of the most amazing reactions to stimulation and compression I've ever witnessed...her tissue was highly elastic, and her nipples everted perfectly she required absolutely no intervention. 

My experience tells me that if a mother is reporting challenges latching, in some cases compression can tell me more about the function of the nipple than it's appearance.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2