Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:06:54 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Tina, are you saying that someone is putting women on Reglan without there even being reason for concern about their milk production?  I can't quote any literature but, as an adoptive mother who has both taken Reglan and worked with my other adoptive moms who have, I shudder to think of it!  I took it for three weeks, back in 1991, while waiting for my fourth child to be taken out of foster care and placed with me.  When she finally came home, after ten weeks of begging and kissing a social worker's feet to get her, I wanted to give her to someone else.  For more than a week, the only thing I wanted to do was sleep and nurse my two year old son.  I felt like the worst mother in the world.  My first attempts to nurse my daughter, who was all ready nearly seven months old, were disastrous.  I was told by a LLL leader and a LC that it probably wasn't possible to get her nursing, so I stopped taking the Reglan.  The depression started to subside a few days later and I was able to be the mother my new daughter needed.  I eventually got her nursing, too.  I later tried taking a smaller dose of Reglan, after my fifth child arrived, but quit at the first sign of depression.  

Back in the 90s, when the Adoptive Breastfeeding Resource Website was active, there were many moms who had taken Reglan.  I can only think of one who didn't have a negative reaction to it. Several were on it for months before realizing that it was responsible for the depression and/or anxiety they were experiencing and it took them months 
under a psychiatrist's care to get rid of the effects.  One even needed 
hospitalization.  She had finally become a mother, after years of struggle, but rather than her baby being nurtured at her breast, he was being bottle fed by someone 
else. Babies need breast milk, but they also need to have mothers who enjoy them and are confident in their ability to care for them.  I would much rather see a baby being given some formula through a Lact-Aid or SNS, while being nurtured at the breast of a happy mother, than one getting 100% breast milk from a mother who is so depressed and/or anxious that she can't enjoy him and be the mother she wants to be. Beyond that, so much of breastfeeding has to do with the mother's confidence in her ability to nourish her baby.  A policy of sending moms home with Reglan would undermine that self-confidence and, I would think, result in fewer babies being breastfed.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2