Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:21:28 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the way a Haberman works on here.  Habermans do NOT only work by compression.  They also work with vacuum.  If you put the smallest line to the baby's nose, a baby who is using vacuum will remove milk quite efficiently.  The directions don't really say that.  Only a cleft palate baby or one who is unable to create vacuum must use compression to extract milk.  And Haberman nipples are not hard and firm.  Do a little exploration yourself using a breast pump and you will see this. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Silver Cross
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: epidermolysis bulosa

There are many kinds of EB and some are definitely more severe than others.  If you are interested in anecdotal evidence, my family has the mildest kind, mostly friction blisters on the feet.  My mother said I would get a sucking blister on my top lip when I breastfed.  My sister didn't.  My cousin didn't, was exclusively breastfed, and had no symptoms until she was about 4 months old and starting to roll in her crib.  She got large raw patches on her cheeks from the bedding.  My one daughter with it never had any mouth symptoms but had foot blisters learning how to walk.  I don't think my dad and his brother were breastfed because Grandma was an organic chemist and believed in the wonders of scientific formula, and my grandfather probably was breastfed because they lived in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire in the 1910's.  No data there.

I have posted before on my experiences with breastfeeding with EB, so you can check the archives.  Skin damage and maceration--not fun.

That being said, I would think if the breast is too physically traumatic for the baby, a Haberman would be even worse because of the constant motion.  At least a regular bottle is not mashing up and down with every suck.

Another thing to consider is that breastmilk will coat the insides of the mouth and help heal any trauma.  If a baby cannot manage to breastfeed, then NG feeding might be a better option than a Haberman, however, the internal mucosa of the pharynx might be traumatized by tube placement and then there would be no good way to help that heal, since the breastmilk would not touch those areas.

Much depends on the kind of EB, but definitely human milk is the way to go.  You could also have mom put it on any external wounds, like some moms have done for burns.

Marie Zahorick, IBCLC, LLLL
Silver Cross Hospital, Joliet, IL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2