Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Hi All

I have permission to post:-)

11/02/2004 
I would appreciate any help

Called to see a mother who had a Emergency Section 27/1/04. for failure to progress
Mum is on antibotics for a wound infection another 3 days left to take.
Mum is concerned about her breastfeeding.
Baby has now gained her birth after 14 days weighed at birth 3880. length 56cms.
Mum has been told by someone that she needs to breastfeed 3 hourly so has been doing this for the past 2 weeks.

Her right breast felt lumpy (thats why I was called) she was concerned that she had a plugged duct or mastitis. the lump disappeared after the breastfeed. no redness .
Her right nipple is very sore at 2oclock she has a small pin head size blister at the base. At 3oclock on the same breast it looks almost like a single mongomery gland is prominent. and when the baby comes the nipple looks pinched which is on the same same side as the blister. she has previously had cracked and bleeding nipples  she states that she dosent seem to be able to get the baby on as comfortably.on the right as well as the left side.  She feels also mentioned that she feels like a pulling  sensation on the side of the breast.  from under the axilla to the areola I advised her to rest her breast for 1 feed and to breastfeed on demand rather than wake baby every three hours.
could the  nipple blister  relate to the position of the baby lips/tongue? should I have done a suck assessment. She has a good supply but dosent feel any let-down.

12/02/04Spoke to Mum to-day, And she has had a better day, nipple still sore, but she is working on the latch and postion. she has used a nipple shield, but its rubbing on the blister. Baby is now feeding 4 hours and still needs to be woken. output is good. Mum feels she has more time to herself with the 4 hourly feeds.

Thankyou in advance for your replies.
June Nicholls
IBCLC

lips were not retracted she had a narrow latch .

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2