Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:35:53 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi,
I am posting again after a long absence.  As you all know, Lactnet can be hard to keep up with!  
I have been a LLLL for 16 years and an IBCLC for 2.  I am employed by the VT State dept of health as a breastfeeding peer counselor program coordinator since 2005.  So far, we have two district programs in the state.  I am also a LC in private practice.  
I have permission to post regarding a woman I am working with who is inducing lactation and preparing to travel to Rwanda to adopt a baby there.  She has previously breastfed (has a 6 year old daughter) and is following the Newman-Goldfarb protocol with quite good results (pumping 8 oz/day).  Her breast milk seems to be high in lactase and she is scalding it before freezing.  I have read that milk should be scalded as soon after expressing as possible.  However, can the mom "batch" her milk before scalding, ie add just expressed milk to some that was expressed earlier?  Most expressions are pretty skimpy and the mom is worried her milk will scald away.  Does this happen?  Can milk be scalded in the microwave?  What size container would be best and how long to set the mic?
I would also like to know if there is an IBCLC in Kigali this mom can contact once she arrives?  She will be staying in Kigali and working at the orphanage for a period of time before bringing the baby home, who will be 2 weeks old by the time the mom arrives in Kigali.
Thanks any and all for your help,
Diane Dressler
Pittsford, VT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2