Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 11:55:24 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
In the past week I have had two instances of a situation I have not come across before, where a mother and baby who seemed to be feeding well and getting bf established effectively reported signs that there was a sudden and dramatic drop in milk production. In the forst case, the baby did have tongue tie and the mother was waiting for a referral, but the baby showed signs of feeding well, and the mother had also been expressing - although it was a manual pump that was not esp effective. I saw her one day and helped with getting her and the baby more comfortable, and watched him feeding in a couple of positions. she was also expressing a reasonable amount of milk as she had been giving that and formula because he had not been attaching or sustaining feeds well. Next day she called very distressed as the baby was not satisfied, and she was not managing to get more than a few drops. I visited and saw that the baby was indeed no longer swallowing. I took an electric pump and she started expressing more often. 
The second case was a mother who I had been supporting from day 2, and had seen her establish bf slowly but well, also called me this morning to say breasts no longer dripping (now day 10) and baby very unhappy and screaming at the breast, and not sustaining effective feeds since yesterday. She has now gone to get baby checked at doctor's to rule out illness, but the sudden overnight change in signs of good production again is bizarre?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2