Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:42:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Has anyone looked at other influenza outbreaks and epidemics in history, before the use of artificial baby milk? It would be interesting to see the rates of morbidity and mortality among infants? I grew up in Appalachia and during the flu outbreak in the late 1950's, I doubt if Appalachian women pumped and gave expressed milk, and there wasn't any other real option as family resources were not available for purchasing milk or hiring help. I remember during the measles outbreak in 1963 or so, everyone including my dad had measles and was confined to our beds, except for mom who had a brandnew baby. So mom made trays of food to deliver to the sick ones ( 4 with measles), wash sheets daily to hang outside in the sunshine, wash and sterilize clothes to wrap ice packs for our heads, keep the 3 kids entertained in bed, all while nursing and caring for an infant who never got the measles. Of course she always said that was the year from Hades!! I think moms have breastfed while mom had the flu and not much ever made about it. Just what we do as moms. Until artificial baby milk companies starting influencing our health care providers.

?Barbara Whitehead

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2