Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:22:22 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I don't understand why the only recent post about circumcision that was specifically criticized, or called "unfortunate" was the one from a Jewish mother who opposes circumcision.  I don't see why should Lactnet show greater tolerance for posts favoring circumcision than for one opposing the practice, especially when the one opposing it came from someone from the same religious background as the poster in favor.  If it is off topic, isn't is equally so for posts in favor of it as for posts opposing it?  There are different people on the list who are offended by both points of view, not just one.   

This IS a valid breastfeeding issue.  Research has shown that feeding patterns, both breastfeeding and bottle feeding, are interrupted following circumcision.  As we know, any kind of interference with breastfeeding in the early days significantly increases the incidence of breastfeeding failure.  I have been told that there are fewer of such problems in Jewish babies, because of the fact that the procedure is not performed until the eight day, when milk supply and suckling has been better established than with hospital circumcisions performed on the second or third day.  I think this makes sense and is a good thing for lactation educators (especially Americans, since that is where most hospital circs are performed) to know.     

Best Wishes,
Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2