Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:23:55 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Got an e-mail from a mom who worked hard to get her milk production going - then had to return to work - now the child care workers are feeding her child with bottles in such a way that the intake is much greater than the mom's ability to pump, even though she goes to the day care to feed at lunch...

I brought up "cue feeding" with bottles, even sent her a copy of the handout available from Australia for child care workers (do we have a US equivalent?) and got this reply...

"I TOTALLY agree with what you said about the childcare workers.  Most of the babies there are formula fed and are getting 8oz bottles of formula (the room is 0-6 months)!  The women there are nice and try their best but they definitely like to keep the babies "milk drunk" so that they sleep a lot and don't cry.  They also use the guzzling bottle feeding technique.  I just don't know how to ask them to change their technique.  If they're saying my baby is getting hungry I feel obligated to bring more milk somehow. :(  I think if I was home, there wouldn't be a supply problem.  It's like you need more milk for daycare than staying home, so that the daycare providers don't get mad at you. :(  The last thing you want is for your baby's care provider to resent you!

Anyway, thank you for encouraging me to keep trying and I'm hoping my supply will go up after this week.  Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.  I'm thankful for you, Jeanette!"

Jeanette here...
I know moms need to learn to advocate for their babies and be firm with the caregivers, etc....  On the other hand - why does everything end up being a stressor on moms and babies - from the "anticipatory bilirubin treatment" in hospitals to the overfeeding in child care?  We are really unkind to mothers!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN PHN, IBCLC
California, USA
...I just completed the 3rd session of a 6-session course with the www.mewpeers.org program - and these dedicated volunteers DO give me hope!  From grandmother-aged women who never breastfed to young women who are there with their babies - and even 3 who have never had a child...they are all volunteering their time to learn about breastfeeding to support women in their community!  Maybe one of THEM will be the ONE who will help to address the child care worker issues!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2