Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 07:35:50 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
I think what the original designers of the angled shield thought beyond wanting to make it 
more comfortable for women.  If you look at women's breasts, they are NOT 
symmetrically conical.  Really, I am sure that even Madonna does not have symmetrically 
conical breasts. I have small breasts, and they are NOT conical.  Most breasts slope 
downward and there is more curve under the breast.  I think the original idea was that 
most women end up leaning forward with their shoulders hunched when they pump 
because the conical shields tilt upward and the milk pools in the shield itself.  
Furthermore, I have seen many women with larger breasts and try to squeeze them into 
the conical shape --- several uncomfortable things can  happen.  I've seen women 
compress the shields so far into their breast that they get compression marks on the 
outer edge of the shield.  They usually do this because the shield doesn't close around 
their elastic tissue and they drip out the bottom.  For a woman who is pumping in the 
hospital for premies or who has preeclampsia and is not feeling well --- the angled 
shields combined with two half inch slits in a tight top or bra can enable them to pump at 
a 30 to 45 degree position --- my dear friend did this when she wasn't allowed to visit her 
babies and her blood pressure was through the roof.  Every time she pumped in this 
position her blood pressure dropped.

Another plus is that the opening is not one sharp angled ring.  Babies use negative 
pressure, compression, stroke with their tongue --- they do not exert pressure in one 
very sharp ring.  I know all too well that reddened angry pink ring that conformed exactly 
to that sharp opening in the breast shields.  The angled shields have several ridges that 
distribute the pressure.  I find that this works for many women who do not release well 
to the standard shields.  

The actually area of suction --- is pretty much the same as the regular shields --- it does 
not hit the nipples.  It is not a sharp bend.

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2