Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:47:33 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hi Christine
Why does this have to be a one-size-fits-all policy.  Unlike Heather, I don't find the idea of visitors in the hour or two after birth monstrous - if the mother wants them there.  I did not want my mother or my brother present for the birth of my second but I sure as eggs wanted them there right after (before the placenta was delivered, much to my brother's horror and his now wife's delight, since he was not at all perturbed by the bloody stuff at her births).  I had to fight staff who wanted to evict my extended family so I could breastfeed (first breastfeed) my first son.  They could not understand why I would want to be surrounded by all the people I love as I learned to breastfeed (because it made it normal and not medical) and I did not understand why they thought I wouldn't.
If what you're about is patient satisfaction, why not set a policy that requires staff to (privately and often) ask the mother what she wants and then make that happen.  Pretty sure your satisfaction scores would skyrocket.
Nina Berry PhD
Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2