Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 01:13:24 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
 I seriously think we should develop an algorithm regarding The Code. There continues to remain a considerable amount of confusion regarding the intention and the scope of The Code.

It would go something like:

1. Is the issue at hand related to the MARKETING (not use!) of a product? YES go to # 2/ NO go to # 10

2. Is the MARKETED product a breastmilk substitute, infant formula, a feeding bottle or teat (there's more info in here about 
    complimentary foods)? Yes go to # 3/No go to # 10

3. This product falls under the scope of The Code. (The algorithm would continue to address the prohibited marketing strategies)

10. The product does not fall under the scope of The Code

Etc. etc.

This type of an algorithm can be used to help clarify when a product falls under the scope of The Code, and distinguish MARKETING of a product from its use. 

Use and merit of a product is not addressed under The Code. I'm confused about why we continue to have these tangential discussions regarding the lifestyles of today's mothers. The lifestyle of today's mothers does not diminish the impact of marketing of these products on breastfeeding. And The Code does not address the merit or benefit of any product, formula, pumps, bottles and teats included. It does not say do not use, it provides guidelines for MARKETING. Medela could provide free samples of nipple shields and Pure Lan (a marketing ploy) to the public all day long and still comply with The Code. How? Look at # 2. Nipple shields are not infant formula, feeding bottles or teats, in other words, they do not fall under the scope of The Code, neither do breastpumps. 

I hope I didn't mess up the interpretation of The Code by paraphrasing. I really think a simple algorithm like I have mentioned would really help professionals better discern what is and what is not addressed by The Code.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA) CLE

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2