Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:57:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I only have first hand experience with this one.  My 'baby', now 24 yr., had WPW and was diagnosed at 4 weeks of age.  Never had any suck/feeding complications once I explained to his cardiologist that he was breastfeeding and that was not negotiable so was he coming out of the bed with all his wires or was I going in?  He was well maintained on digoxin only except he gained weight so rapidly that it was challenging to keep his meds at the correct levels.  He did have clotting issues which made getting blood dreadful---3-4 sticks to get enough. A thorough work up found no other underlying issues. 

Suck/feeding issues were never brought up by any of his health care team over the years...nor did I see anything in the research I did at the time.  The few times he was hospitalized I did see that when he was breastfeeding his heart rate immediately normalized and stayed stable during the nursing and for close to an hour following.  By then he was usually nursing again anyway. 

He was on digoxin until a bit after 3 yrs of age and then weaned off.  As we were cautioned at that time we could expect a recurrence of what we called 'episodes' when prepubescence began...and they did return.  Eventually, they became harder to stop and he was eligible for an ablation.  It was done via catheters on a Tuesday and by Friday he was roller blading (with MD permission!).  

When he was a little guy and I was so stressed about his future, his cardiologist brought in a strapping high school football player and told me this was a boy with WPW!  Today my son is 6'4" and 220 and not limited in anyway.  Also my niece was diagnosed with WPW in her first year of college and it was identical to my son's....caught and treated promptly as her parents recognized what it was from our experience.  There is a hereditary compo net. 

So my guess is that there is something else going on with this baby in addition to the WPW.  As an IBCLC I have only worked with one other baby with WPW and the mother decided to not breastfeed about two weeks after the diagnoses because the hospital/MDs thought it was too stress for her!!!  BTW, until that point baby was doing just fine thank you!

I would be interested to hear how things go for this mom and babe.  Tons of positive thoughts their way!
Michele

Michele L. Crockett, IBCLC, PCPA, LLLL
Nutrition First (formly WALWICA) Lactation Educator 
Pregnancy Aid/WIC of Snohomish County BPC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2