Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
To: Lactation Information and Discussion 
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 12:35 PM
Subject: large for dates hungry baby

Dear All

I have searched the archives but havent been able to find  any references  to a couple of questions that have arose while I have been on duty on a postnatal ward. and our lactation consultant works Mon - friday 

First scenario

Multip induced for large for dates baby 
Labour was 13 hrs long and then went for a emergency C-section for fetal distress.  Baby Male weighed 4.9kg apgars  9, 10 went to the breast within 1 hour of birth.  
Baby had been  feeding non-stop for 6 hrs , mum was tired, fragile, and nipples were tender -  I observed a breastfeed and found that although the latch was deep baby wasnt wasnt  swallowing.   his output was Ok .  I  did a breast assessment on Mum, showed Mum how to hand express  and mum had only a few drops of colostrum on the end of the nipple.with Mum permission I gave a cup feed I wonder if i intervened to early?????   What else could I could I have done?? I did alll the other supportive measures, bathed baby, etc This mum only breastfeed her first baby for 6 weeks as she didnt have enough milk(her words not mine)

The other interesting client I looked after was of the Asian Culture,    Her baby was coming up to 48 hrs old and she only put baby to the breast for 2 mins at each feed then insisted that baby received  30mls of Infant Formula -  she wasnt worried that she didnt have any colostrum ( I was)  it was her second baby and weighed 3000gms at birth -   she was confident that her lactation would still come in  and would  breastfeed successfully.  So why am I perdantic in the first few days of that postpartum period?????

Sincerely

June nicholls
Rm  IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2