Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:14:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
In response to an example of a boycott that seemed to be efective, one poster stated:
"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid this *is* political when you have a different 
opinion, and the choice of language disturbs me ("didn't support us")." 
The original writer tried to avoid this kind of reaction in her post and her intent, as I saw it, wasn't to discuss the merits or lack thereof of the particular boycott, but as an example that in some situations (whether or not you agree with the boycotters) a boycott has been effective.

This kind of response happens all to often on Lactnet (for that reason I have avoided using the names of either poster mentioned above)  someone will use an example or include a casual comment totally unrelated to the intent and primary content of their message.  Sometimes, as in this case, they even point out that they are not offering the example as any kind of suggestion or endorsement.  However, someone in reading the post takes the example and runs with it, often being critical of the person who mentioned it in the first place.  The original question or point frequently gets lost in the sidetrack and feelings wind up getting hurt.  I have heard some LNers remark that they are reluctant to post anymore because of this kind of reaction and I have felt that way a few times myself, (but it's too hard for me to keep my mouth shut for very long).

Can we all please make a point of reading through a posting in it's entirety before reacting?  Then if you are having strong feelings, read the original again to be sure you are responding to the intent and not to some side issue.  (I guess the reason this bugs me is that it is so much like a local talk-show host who is way to one extreme of the political spectrum who does this all the time.  I can't listen to him because I feel my blood pressure rising after just a few words when he has taken something totaly out of context.)

Winnie Mading

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2