Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:20:10 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
We have 14 pumps. Our birth rate has dropped from about 400/mo 3-4 years ago to painfully under 200/mo.
We have 2-4 moms per room, so Infection Control won't permit storing cleaned pumps in the patient rooms. LDRs are single patient rooms, and we have some moms staying in them for PP care also. NICU has a capacity of 34 beds, but that's been cut in half also. NICU has 5 private rooms for those most fragile babies, along the main NICU ward. The census has dropped, but somehow, the need for pumps is still there as we are advocating for breastfeeding more. 

So we keep cleaned, bagged pumps in the NICU and PP supply rooms. 2 are assigned to Peds and 1 in always in the staff pumping room. The rest float to PP, NICU, PICU, and everywhere else in the hospital. I pre-assemble Patient Belongings bags of supplies that contain a pink wash tub, several packets of castile soap, the kit, extra bottles and our printed instructions for pumping for NICU babies.) This in an effort to make setting up a pump easier and quicker for the RNs. The only extra thing needed are infant ID labels for the bottles. Still need to update their skills for teaching effective techniques, choosing between 24mm and 27mm breast shields, keeping the tubing dry, teaching mom to wash the pump parts, and being sure to take home the little round caps under the lid of the pump - so she will have a complete kit when she comes back to visit so we don't have to 'eat' the cost of a 2nd kit for that mom.

BTW: cleaning the pumps is part of my assigned duties as IBCLC. 
My colleague was laid off, so I'm the only one they have. 
But we do have interested RNs who fill in for me occasionally 'doing lactation' when I'm not on the calendar.

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2