Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2012 18:47:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  After review, and discussion with a friend of mine who has Reynaud's, I think that's the culprit.

Jean - thank you so much for your comments - they were very helpful!!  Correct me if I'm wrong, but applying heat before the feeding followed by RPS can also lessen the pain at initial latch, right?

Thanks Laura for your suggestions - there's no lip tie, and the doc did not instruct mom on tongue exercises to prevent adhesions, but I did.  We've also done some suck training to get him to use his tongue more effectively and he's responded well.  I've suggested CST, and while Mom goes to a chiro, I don't believe she's chosen to have baby adjusted.  Mom doesn't have a good nursing chair and her back/neck are pretty painful, so I'm not entirely sure a position where the breast hangs would be an option for her at this time, but I'll keep that in mind.  

Oh - and this is also what's making me think Reynaud's is dead on - the baby does have a strong suck compensating for the poor initial latch and tongue tie, however, Mom pumps on the LOWEST setting for her breastpump and always has but still experiences "toe curling" pain for the first minute and then feels she goes a bit numb.  

After the discussion this am with my friend, I think we'll opt for dry heat over moist heat to avoid the evaporative cooling effect.  And she's got cotton breast pads, but I'll suggest some wool ones instead.

Does anyone know of a homeopathic/naturopathic option for managing Reynaud's??  This Mom is VERY adverse to pharmacological options.  She's even refused Motrin/Tylenol for the pain and has opted for arnica instead.  I've suggested she contact her Naturopath for suggestions other than arnica, but as of the other day, she had not yet done so.

Does anyone know how quickly she can expect the situation to improve?  I understand if she's only willing to treat with heat, that will be longer.  But if she opts for a pharmeceutical instead, will she notice improvement in hours?  days?? weeks??  I want her expectations to be reasonable as she's already almost 3 weeks into this painful situation and is wearing down fast.

Thank you sooo sooo soooo much for all your feedback!!!

Jillian Malan, LLLL, IBCLC
Michigan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2